Friday, January 8, 2010

Final Project- Shadows

I debated with myself for a while on what to do for my final project, and after discovering sweet light in my living room, I decided I wanted to do shadows. I've always enjoyed shadows. They're interesting to look at, and the rich black can make a great image. After shooting some with the same light, I found it a little difficult to make/find shadows in a different place. While making my own, I found that candles can produce warped images of objects (i.e a wine glass) made of glass on the wall behind them. In some of the images, the white balance was a little off, but i tried to fix that as best I could in lightroom. While shooting this assignment, I learned that you have to pay attention to the time of day in order to get a correct positioning of light to make your shadow. I had a lot of fun shooting this assignment, and I will miss digital, and you Mr. Slade! Enjoy.


This is one of my favorites, and the fist shadow I shot. It was when I discovered this living room light that this camel was in it, making this shadow. I under-exposed it (on purpose), and I think it looks pretty neat.


This is when I had to resort to making my own shadows when I returned home and it was dark. The light is produced by candle, and I love how the glass looks. My white balance was off on this one, and the colors still look a little funky, but composition wise, I love it.


This is my other candle operation. It's just the shadow of the glass vase thing it's in. I love how it gives off and orange hue, due to the color of the candle. It reminds me of fire!


This is a little...abstract. It doesn't have a specific subject, it's just two different shadows that happened to be next to each other. (same living room window light- just later in the day)


I like this one. It's funny how it's shadow is SO much bigger than it, and the light source is a motion light above it, not this light itself. (shot at night). I also like how the background fades from white to black.


This is another of my favorites. Same living room light at the camel, only with my brother's profile. I had originally shot it underexposed with the actual person and his shadow, which looked cool, but 1) his face was all distorted in each shot due to me forcing him to look into the light, and 2) Slade told me to shoot just this. And I really like it. It's simple.


This wood star thing is so intricate, I loved the shadow it produced against the wall. Same light source.


I walked into this room and thought this simple wedge of light was pretty cool, so I shot it. I also like how it cuts off the picture, so you can't really tell what it is of, which is erie.


I know Slade's no fan of guitars, but I really like this shot. I love the shadows our blinds make, and I just happened to catch them at the right moment laying across the guitar.


This is probably my least favorite. The shadow's blue, because I was outside and It was really light, so when I brought up the blacks, it turned more blue... but other than that, I guess it's ok. yes, that would be me up in the tree. I couldn't find a good angle to get the tree without me in it, so I got in the center. Mighty uncomfortable too.

Thanks for a great 1/2 year!!! I heart digital!

No comments: